Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Book Review: Vampires of the Scarlet Order

Vampires of the Scarlet OrderVampires of the Scarlet Order by David Lee Summers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the vampire genre, but I picked this up when I heard the author speak at Tuscon Fantasy and Science Fiction Convention a few years back and I'm glad I did.

Vampires of the Scarlet Order is the best of what the small press has to offer. What major publishing house is going to accept a book by a then-unknown author that has vampires as something other than angsty teens? The vampires in this book are most certainly not. Summers takes the implausible (the existence of vampires) and puts them in a plausible context (being used and discarded by secret government agencies). We're treated to a sweeping ride through history before settling down into modern day Las Cruces, New Mexico.

This is where it got really fun for me. I lived for many years in the desert Southwest and Summers captures the sights and smells of the desert perfectly. There's even a few inside references to one of my favorite local Tucson bands. If Summers writes more horror novels, especially if they're set in the West, I'll definitely pick them up.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Coolio. Yeah, the Glitter Vamp sucks (oops!). Think I will check this one out as it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.